Thursday, June 01, 2017

make time to play!


Creativity is a sensitive thing. Some days it comes easy and it flows effortlessly. While other days it can feel like an uphill battle just to have an idea or make something simple. I've found that it helps to make time to play. There is something really profound about giving yourself permission to to have fun, make a mess, create something bizarre, and explore a wacky idea that has no purpose or end result. This process can break the ice and get all that inspiration flowing. Here are a few tips to inspire you to play!

CREATE FOR THE PROCESS, NOT THE OUTCOME
It is so easy to get caught up in the end result of our art and creative projects. Things like Will people like it? Will it sell? Does it look the way I planned? are all questions that can ruin creativity. I've found that tossing out the plan, the finished results and the outcome of a creative project helps me enjoy what I'm doing. Typically when I set out to play, experiment with a techniques or try something that has no purpose, I end up with all kinds of new ideas.

CHANEL YOUR INNER CHILD
You know how kids always seem to be fascinated with simple stuff? Or how they seem to not care at all about being silly? Or how new experiences are so exciting? Well, these are all things that I try to embrace when it comes to creativity. I'm always trying to find ways to get back to all that creative innocence I had when I was a kid. Things like finger painting, doodling, painting on the wall, cutting up magazines, and coloring are all ways that I am able to channel my inner child.

TRY SOMETHING NEW
There is nothing that will set you free quite like trying a new technique, new supply or a new idea. I've found that I "play" the most when I have something new or different to experiment with. Again, there is something about dropping expectations of a finished project and embracing the process (of something new) that gets that inspiration flowing.

5 comments:

brenda said...

Did you really paint on your legs!!? How long did that take? And how long will you leave it there? They look so pretty!

Unknown said...

LOVE IT!

Unknown said...

Beautiful ♥ ♥ ♥ I love it

Unknown said...

Beautiful ♥ ♥ ♥ I love it

studioGypsy said...

ahhh!!! love!! :D xooxxo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails