Thursday, January 04, 2018

healthy salmon chowder

Living on the Oregon Coast we are surrounded by wild, fresh fish and it's a big part of our family diet. One of my favorite meals in the winter is a big hearty bowl of chowder. But these days, I am eating very clean and healthy with zero gluten and very little dairy so I've come up with my own version of a salmon chowder. It's not the same as that heavy chowder loaded with butter, cream and sodium that I can get at my local fish market. Instead it tastes light, crisp and totally satisfies my chowder cravings.

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup of fish stock (homemade stock is even better)
2 cups of coconut milk
2 poached wild salmon fillets
2-3 tsp coconut oil
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
5 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
3 stocks of celery, chopped
3 potatoes, cubed
1bay leaf
1 teaspoon of fresh dill, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon pepper

INSTRUCTIONS:
Cook the vegetables in coconut oil on low for about 20-30 minutes.
Pour the coconut milk and fish broth over the vegetables and bay leaf and bring to a simmer.
Add cubes of salmon to the vegetables and broth and cook on low heat.
Dish and serve with fresh dill and parsley sprinkled on top.







SaveSave

3 comments:

Maureen H. said...

This looks and sounds delicious. I have a question for you though. I have a severe garlic allergy (anaphylaxis) and am wondering if it would be as tasty if I took the garlic out and added onion instead? Any ideas? Thanks so much for sharing!

Unknown said...

That looks so delicious and beautiful!!!!!

BlueBirdLegacy said...

I am going to make this!! Looks, and sounds so good !
Thanks Alisa.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails